Providing you with the skills and confidence to be able to fully enjoy the hills and moorlands of the UK – that’s our business.
Hi, we are Ian and Carol Pattinson: and we own Discover Walking Pembrokeshire and Tregynon Cottages. Below is a little bit of background on us.
Ian: I joined the Royal Navy as a logistics officer in 1978 and I retired in December 2014 as a Captain. Arranging logistical support to Naval Task Groups around the world has long been my area of expertise. I have been lucky enough to lead and work with many well-motivated teams, often in difficult and demanding situations and developing the professional skills of the individuals within those teams has been key to achieving success. I consider motivating and teaching skills to be two of my strengths which can be readily transferred into our Discover Walking and Tregynon Cottages businesses. I have always loved walking and navigation and I am a great enthusiast for imparting these skills to others so that they can also wander safely and competently in the hills and moors. The chance to practise the whole range of hill skills each day while meeting new people is a dream come true for me.
Carol: I have had a broad selection of work as well as running the home while Ian has been deployed with the Royal Navy: not least of which has been bringing up three children! I spent a number of years as a legal secretary and then became an administrator in the NHS and most recently I worked in the Bath and North East Somerset Care Trust as a Drug and Alcohol care worker. I provide the pragmatic, the domestic and the female perspective and while Ian is leading on the walking side of the business I will be keeping his feet on the ground and making sure that Tregynon Cottages works! What we lack in private sector business acumen we make up for in a determination to grasp this opportunity to deliver a first class service to those who are looking to learn hill skills and/or just enjoy a well earned holiday in this most beautiful part of the country.
The History of Tregynon Cottages The site which today we call Tregynon Cottages consists of one larger cottage (Dan Y Mynydd) and two smaller ones (Foxglove and Honeysuckle). All three buildings were once part of the Tregynon Farm (the main farmhouse a short way away). The three buildings were sold off from the farm in 2005 and thereafter were given the name Tregynon Cottages.
We bought Tregynon Cottages in July 2013 and decided that we would live permanently in Dan Y Mynydd, rent out Foxglove and Honeysuckle and incorporate our passion for hill walking into this perfect location. We spent the next year extending Dan Y Mynydd, refurbishing the cottages and setting up our business. One huge advantage for us was that we quickly became good friends with Peter and Jane Heard who had owned Tregynon Farm and who still live in the original farmhouse today. Peter and Jane have become our mentors as well as our close friends.
The Tregynon Cottage Values Our values are based upon the provision of a quality service at the right price in order to ensure that the visitor is wholly satisfied with their experience and will want to become part of the Tregynon Cottages ‘family’ and return again and again.
- Committed and professionally qualified to promote safe, responsible and competent walking.
- Committed to putting you and your holiday at the centre of what we do.
- Passionate about Pembrokeshire Coast National Park and opening it up to you.
- Proud of the standard of accommodation at Tregynon Cottages.
- In a truly beautiful location – only 10 minutes from the sea at Newport.
- Determined to make you want to come back again and again.
- Determined to make you want to feel part of our Tregynon Cottages ‘family’.
- The only business in the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park to offer such a totally flexible combination of walking and accommodation geared entirely around you doing what you want to do and when.
- Friendly, relaxed, honest, easy to deal with and we enjoy a good laugh.
- Committed and reliable.
- Onsite and available to deal promptly with any concern or question you may have.
- Grateful for any suggestions from you.
We want to learn from you and continually improve the bespoke package we offer you and others in the future.